Electrical Heater Safety – Winter Electrical Safety
During the cold months of winter, many use space heaters, electric blankets or candles to keep warm. Although these options can be efficient in warming a room, they can be dangerous if not used correctly. Transworld, Inc. Electrical Contractors has shared some safety tips that will help keep you warm and safe this winter in South Carolina.
- Make sure that your electrical system can handle the additional wattage of a space heater. We get many calls about tripping breakers during the winter and this is mostly due to space heaters overloading the electrical circuits.
- Never place your space heater near anything that is flammable. This includes paper, drapes, pillows, blankets, etc.
- Inspect the plug on the space heater to ensure it is in good condition and isn’t frayed, worn or damaged. never run the cord under an area rug, this can start a fire.
- Never leave your space heater unattended or close to children.
- Always turn off before you go to bed and should never be left unattended.
- Inspect the plug on the space heater to ensure it is in good condition and isn’t frayed or broken.
- Do not layer anything on top of your electrical blanket and never fold while it is being used.
- Always blow out candles before you go to sleep or leave.
- Never leave candles unattended, especially around kids or pets.
Should you have any problems or questions about electrical safety, our professional electricians are prepared to help.