12 Ways to a Safer Christmas
Transworld, Inc. Electrical Contractors wishes you and your family and safe and happy holiday season. We are so thankful for our wonderful customers that continue to trust our Charleston electricians ever year.
#1: Inspect all electrical decorations for damage before use.
Carefully inspect each electrical decoration and cord for damage before use. Always follow the manufacturer’s use and care instructions that accompany electrical decorations.
#2: Do not overload electrical outlets.
Avoid overloading outlets and only plug one high-wattage appliance into each outlet. It is important to match power needs (amperage) of electrical products with the amperage rating of extension cords.
#3: Never connect more than three strings of incandescent lights.
More than three strands may not only trip a circuit breaker but also can cause a fire. Investing in LED lights will allow you to connect more strings together because they are cooler.
#4: Check decorations for certification label.
Always purchase electrical decorations and lights from reputable retailers.
#5: Make sure all outdoor extension cords and electrical decorations are rated for outdoor use.
#6: Use clips, not nails to hang lights.
This will help make sure the cord doesn’t get damaged.
#7: Outdoor electric lights and decorations should be plugged into circuits protected by ground fault circuit interrupters.
If circuits are not GFCI protected, portable outdoor GFCIs can be purchased where electrical supplies are sold and require no special knowledge or equipment to install.
#8: Protect electrical cords from damage.
To avoid shock or fire hazards, cords should never be pinched by furniture, forced into small spaces such as doors or windows, placed under rugs, located near heat sources or attached by nails or staples.
#9: Turn off all decorations when going to sleep or leaving the house.
#10: Never leave lit candles unattended.
Almost half of home decoration fires are caused by traditional candles, according to the National Fire Protection Association. Make sure to keep lit candles away from children, pets, and flammable decorations.
#11: Stay in the kitchen when something is cooking.
Unattended cooking equipment is the leading cause of home cooking fires according to the National Fire Protection Association.
#12: If using a live tree, water it daily.
Dry trees are a serious fire hazard. Place your tree at least three feet away from all heat sources, including fireplaces, radiators and space heaters.