“According to the NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center, the Atlantic could see another above-normal hurricane season this year.” – National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
Last year produced 5 land-falling storms, including Hurricane Matthew that caused $10 billion in damage and killed 34 people in the US and 551 in the Caribbean and many have forecasted that the 2017 Atlantic hurricane season will be even more active. The NOAA issued its forecast last month and called for 11-17 named storms (including April’s Tropical Storm Arlene) and of those storms they estimate that 5-9 will become hurricanes with 2-4 being major hurricanes. Whether or not these storms actually develop, everyone in Charleston and the surrounding Lowcountry should be prepared.
How can I be prepared for a hurricane?
Know Your Zone
Know Your Zone is a public education campaign to inform the citizens and visitors South Carolina of the new hurricane evacuation zones and their vulnerability to storm surge. You can visit the South Carolina Emergency Management Division and use their maps and links to determine your zone & vulnerability to the storm surge.
Click here to learn your zone.
Early preparation helps increase safety and reduce stress
- Do you have an evacuation plan?
- Is your gas tank full?
- If you have a Generac Generator, has it been properly serviced and maintained?
- Is your house prepared? Do you need to board up windows? Is all outside furniture secure?
- Do you have backup clean drinking water and food? Do you have a backup supply of all medications?
- Do you have a copy of important documents? Ex. Medical records, insurance records, ect.
- Do you have you have a plan for returning home?
If you have any questions on hurricane preparedness, someone from Transworld, Inc. would love to help you and your family become prepared. In addition, we are a certified Generac Generator authorized dealer and can help make sure your never left in the dark.